Saturday, May 9, 2009

Spring! Let the Work Begin....

...from tilling the garden to gathering fresh manure...and daily checking on all the transplants from Ontario (looks like all have survived). They are off to a slow start and so far the deer are leaving them alone. After planting scads of tulip bulbs in the fall, I was told they are a deer delicacy - great!
They were fond of the apple trees and a selection of newly planted scrubs, nipping the tips of them all. Ipperwash as herds of rabbits...we have the long-legged, hungrier kind.

a deer-pruned smoke bush

Fiddleheads are popping, and though I thought there were fields of them down by our stream, they are in fact just regular ferns, so thankfully I was given some...for a Maritime pizza!

Everyone here guards their "patches" keeping them family secrets, handed down to family members only, so I was pleased to be given enough for a feed....thanks Brian!

Renovations are about to begin again soon...Jean-Marc has been re-wiring the barn in preparation to fix it up for some extra space. It was slotted to be a "man-cave", but I have my eye on it now for a hobby/studio/"woman-cave"!

Jean-Marc tries to sort out the old and bring in the new!

I had a fire call this morning after Jim left to make a dump run (we missed pick up for a month and didn't relish another 2 weeks of multiple bags sitting in the barn if the weather warms up!)
It was a training exercise for all the local departments and only Jason and I were up at 0700...so he picked me up at the road and off to shuttle water for the guys wetting down a controlled burn of an old shed.
The Hampton guys set up 2 portable tanks and we dump water into them ...then they pump from there to the fire...remember...no convenient hydrants!
I left Jim a note, but Elmer called us and then met us on the road on our way back...ahhhh to have a worry wart in one's life!

Lined up to dump water...

...into the porta-tanks...

...Jason controls the flow...

...Re-filling at the hydrant in Hampton

We had a visit last week for a 90-year old lady, Winnie Bowland , that was raised in this house. She came in a walker, and we thought it would be a problem to get around the house...but no, she bounded in and up the stairs telling us stories about growing up here and what the place looked liked "in her day". and? she likes what we've done to the ole homestead...phewwww!



This is a plant that Storme gave me and promised it would produce beautiful flowers...a boa cactus...

I was skeptical, but...

...it did bloom beautifully!

Things are quiet till now with the rain - 8 days straight...and now the grass is growing like mad and cutting will start if the sun ever comes out!
This is my first Mother's Day away...have a good one Mom and see you next week? We!'ll do lunch!

No comments: