Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Week of Rain....

...which can only mean the skylights are pushed back further! (the upside? I'm off the hook hauling water around to all the new plantings!)

redneck water feature!...it comes and goes

redneck garden...the compost that grew...potatoes!

So what does one do when the weather sucks and the work has halted?...go shopping of course!
I drove solo to the city and met up with the manager, Doug Speers of the local garden centre Cedar Crest to discuss my need for creating some privacy between the road and the house.
He spent 2 hours! with me describing the different trees and uses and ability to survive here. (Given I mentioned the fact that I had 4 empty acres is partly the reason I have a new best friend!)
Very different than Ipperwash - acidic soil (thus the bountiful rhododendrons) but with an alkaline water source...hmmm says I, like I understand. So we proceeded to pick out a small forest of both evergreens and deciduous trees (16 in total!) that were on half price (yeah! love a sale) but because of their size will have to be planted by his crew (ooohhh! there go the savings!).


****Note to self...living in the country sooooo far from the city has costly drawbacks, as no one seems interested in driving sooooo far!

They are going to "babysit" them until I get back form Ontario and with luck...they go in the first week of August...which, with even more luck I'll have an outdoor water source to keep them happy!

this is the "queen" , a weeping Hemlock that will reach 100'!

the "king", an Austrian Pine...

the red beauty...

...and the gold goddess...

...and the fat boy, a Fat Albert Blue Spruce!
Not this size of course...patience is a virtue (not one of mine, unfortunately!)


On return home, I found Jim and Doug(ie) happily tearing out the kitchen/TV room wall! Will the dust EVER end? Doug had cut out the areas for the 2 skylights (inside only till the rain stops) and they had also turned the basement jacks down a tad. This last to-do resulted in the floor coming down about a 1/2 inch, and starting to square up the stairs and doorways! Yeah!


Doug(ie) begins the wall removal...and the whole house was shaking!


Why is this man smiling?...

'cause he said "let there be light"...

...and it was so!


There have been rumors that the hydro is coming Tuesday to connect wires, the plumber promises next week and the electrician? MIA! But I still have confidence that all the commotion will take place when I'm not here, so I've written on every wall the placement of switches, plugs, water etc...in the event that the room layouts can't be deciphered!



No comments: