Friday, July 11, 2008

No News is ...

...good news? I guess.
The roofers finished (except for the skylights) on Tuesday and the shingles look sooooo good!

The roofers, Doug, Glen(ie) and "Bad-Laden" (that's what they called him!) packing up for their next job.

Doug(ie) promises to return on Friday to install the skylights so...we'll see.

Here's where they go on the outside...(the dark patch)


...and inside our bedroom- see the lines? (shelf is going to be gone!)...the length of the entire slope! We're going be sleeping under the stars!


We have had fog, rain, mist for two days, so it wouldn't be possible anyway before Friday.
This weather has been great for all the transplanting as I have to pail water from the bathtub to a large bucket in the wheelbarrow, wheel it out to all plants and shrubs and then pail water on each one ...no outdoor water source yet!

Jim and I decided that given the weather and aching bodies we would take a reconnaissance mission into the city to do some window shopping for taps, tubs, wood stoves and other resources.

I want to buy an old cast iron clawfoot tub and have it refinished, but I'm getting push back as no one seems interested in hauling a 600 pound tub up a flight of stairs. So off to visit the plumbing supplies for the new and improved acrylic ones ($$$$!!!!) They all seem flimsy and tiny to me, but lighter and much warmer for bathing in the dead of winter!

This is the agreed on tub for the upstairs bathroom -acrylic :( ...and the taps are as much as the tub!... the banker is beginning to see dollar signs dancing in his head!..."honey, do you like living in NB...?"

Then the search was on for taps for that 200 pound "free" sink for the kitchen. And yes, they were found! However, customized, from the US and BIG $! And to all these great finds, the banker gets the same response..." honey, do you like living in NB?"


This tap?...or...

...or this one??

Doug brought me these antique, original ones to try (everyone here seems to have an infinite collection of paraphernalia in their sheds/barns/garages! But unfortunately they were too small, but he said I might be able to use them elsewhere...the downstairs bathroom sink perhaps?


We are torn between wood and pellet stoves, one issue being the size of the room (11' x 14' with 2 exterior doors!)...me? - pellet!
Price wise they seem comparable, but the pros and cons are confusing Jim. He seems to think there is no problem getting, stacking and daily movement of wood (short memory form the cottage days!)
He was ready to throw in the third alternative - an electric fireplace?! " honey, do you like living in NB?"

Logger Jim has pretty much completed the poplar tree (known as pop-als here) removal. I wanted them all (20) out of the front, but am ready to admit the ones that are left should stay until some evergreens are planted out front and a bit mature to create a privacy windrow.
Gardening is my thing now that the Grand Plan is somewhat written in sand. I'm a regular at the garden center ferreting out sales and deals for shrubs and trees, and "highway shopping" for wildflowers, trees and plants, that I'm anxious to get started and growing. I reeeeeally need some mechanical equipment here! A tractor, plow, bucket etc! Between roots and rocks, I'm onto my 2nd shovel and every muscle hurts!

Jim has pretty much completed the framing in the summer kitchen, and the new windows arrived....now to install...hmmmm?

The new windows are sitting where the wood/pellet stove? will be and then a window on either side (looking to the back yard)

The electrician dropped by (everyone is good at this part) to let us know he is still waiting on a permit from NB Power and this was just a courtesy call since he was in the area. We can't insulate the summer kitchen till he's completed his work.
Still no sign of the plumber....and an appointment made by the floor finisher never did materialize and no response to phone messages!
And, Jim had originally wanted to build a house! I think he's beginning to see the folly in that!

Friday and no skylights, but Doug and his son Devin did come after supper to remove the old hand-hewn upright beams and put in the new cement footings and jacks in the cellar.

This is the old beam...sitting in front of my bike to show the immense size of it...I'm hoping to use it for a mantle over the heat source (wood? pellet? electric?) in the summer kitchen/TV room)!


Doug, Jim and Devin...note the clothes dryer in the background! Would you fold clean clothes in this space!? NO!...so I think the new stackable washer/dryer is in order...more $$$ says the banker! " honey, do you like living in NB?"


The new cement footings poured in a wood form (v.s. digging down into the rock-hard dirt floor)


...and our 5 pretty new adjustable jack-posts...perhaps a coordinating coat of paint?

and the skylights?...Saturday?!...stay tuned, hope springs eternal....

No comments: